Today is so about classics. This story is just so meaningful that I couldn't wait to finish it so that I could write a thing or two about it. In this case, I'd rather analyse the happy ending brought up by Disney cartoon, rather than the tragic story as written by Mr. Victor Hugo.
Quasimodo, his whole life was probably a little mishap - he just so happened to be born like that; ugly faced, hunchback. His only parents who'd accept him like no other were killed by the evil Archdeacon, who then adopted him, instilling him ideas about human discrimination and prejudice. His only human friend from the start, who is also his only love, Esmeralda fell for Captain Phoebus, the handsome military man. Good thing Disney scriptwriters finally sympathised with him and granted him a sorta happy ending. Apart from his all-time gargoyle friends, he now has Esmeralda, Phoebus as his best friends, along with the acceptance of the everyone in Paris. I personally couldn't accept the fact that he was dead along with Esmeralda as Mr. Victor Hugo brutally did to him.
One of the scenes that got me really teary was when Esmeralda mistaken Quasimodo's face as a mask. He didn't explain, he only smiled. I know how much it kills him. Nonetheless, instilled with the belief that he's the ugliest monster in Paris who's meant to be confined within the cathedral as the bell-ringer forever, he did not expect much. He also knew nobody would ever accept him like his Master, proven by the coronation of Quasimodo as the Pope of Fools and everyone threw rotten eggs and veggies at him like a freak.
And that's why when the battle with the Archdeacon was over, when Esmeralda introduced Quasimodo as another hero behind the glorious heroic independence, and when all the people in Paris cheered for him, I shed another hot tear of joy. He was finally being accepted. I'm so happy with Quasimodo's decision of defying his only belief all his life. All his life he believed that his Master was his everything - he raised him, accepted his ugly face, granted him a job and a place to live in. All these turned out to be a total lie, and the Master(the Archdeacon) was in fact the figure of all the evil elements in Paris. Although Quasimodo endured all the fear and suspense and guilt throughout the rescue, the reward was big. Whole Paris belonged to him in the end. Nothing can be better than being accepted by the crowd for who he is. People no longer talk about his ugly face, his funny hunchback; more, they sing about his bravery and pure heart.
Done with Quasimodo, Esmeralda is yet another legend in the story. I could see how much Gypsies were being unjustly treated and misunderstood, they're believed to be very cunning group of people who are good liars. People stayed away from them, and ordinary people were just so proud because of them being majority and threw unjust discriminations towards them. And the rest of the Gypsies just built a secret place for themselves. But Esmeralda is the only brave girl who openly defied the Archdeacon and did not care about her own life. She's more concern about the just. And yet, I feel she is lucky - to have such a special friend who'd save her in every way a person could be saved. And she met someone who'd do the same like her - Phoebus.
"If I could fly, I'd have chosen today. Sing, dance! Nobody'd wanna be trapped here forever." said Quasimodo to the bird.
"Life isn't meant to be watched; it's not like watching a movie or a match. You have to get down and play." said the momma gargoyle to Quasimodo.
rajin plak ko menulis synopsis ni..hahahah
ReplyDeletehaha, si syair cm brminat jew cite ni. so tulis la skali. mne tau ad pmbaca2 len yg mnat gak ke. haha.
ReplyDelete